Monday, September 24, 2007

Make me a reservation at the nursing home: I am aging rapidly

Russ and I had a totally different kind of weekend. For a incredible change of pace, we left Josie with relatives and had a good old fashioned night out with friends. It started like all good nights out do- get dressed in your cool jeans, tight shirt, and shoes you can run in. Get on the el to go meet your friends. Get off the train and see people doing drugs between parked cars, you know, a typical night in the city. As we walk to our friends house, we pass people that appear to be in a gang (a.k.a. talking loudly). Fear for safety. Attempt to walk with purpose, but instead walk through a spider web. Ew. We finally make it to our destination and are happy to see all of our friends that we have not partied with since before Josie was born. We pop open some beers and start chatting. Music is on, comedy gold is flowing, and a good time is being had by all. Soon we are playing "ride the bus" like a couple of true party animals! Russ and I are carefree, young, and having fun! After coming out on the losing end of too many games, I was in a delicate condition as we hit the bar. Soon I hit the wall and wanted to go home. I was proud of my night out and imagining myself in a nice cozy bed when I looked at my watch: 11:45. RED ALERT!!!!!!!! 11:frickin:45! I am supposed to be young and hip! Its not even midnight! I should be living like there is no tomorrow, partying like its 1999, etc! We'd been having fun but I can't help it, I want to go home. Russ and I grab a cab and are home by shortly after midnight. We go to bed pronto. I wake up in the morning and hate myself. More like hate my stomach and the feeling is mutual. I turn to look at Russ and he is in a bad place as well. Things going downhill fast. We get up and get ready to go retrieve Josie. I have to drive so Russ can nurse his hang over in the passenger seat. When I turn on the car, the radio comes on... the classical station. Pour salt in my wound, OMG, that's right I've been listening to classical music in the car! It hits me in waves that I am totally aging. I realize I only have 2 pairs of jeans, my only friends on myspace are my 11-14 year old cousins, I am now scandalized by drug use and sexual impropriety and, the nail in the coffin: I missed my daughter while drinking at a bar. Trying to be young again kicked our asses and I am humiliated! Until I arrive to pick up Josie. She sees us through the window and is so happy she starts crying and running to us. I kissed her and nuzzled her sweet little neck... Maybe being older isn't so bad after all.

4 comments:

cakegirl said...

Welcome to the club little sista! Not "club" as previously known, but the elite club of wisdom and experience. You will occasionally desire the opposing "club", but will always return to the reflective and tranquil club the morning after. Lets also give a big "welcome" to Russ, one of our newest members!

Dalton Family said...

Hey! Did Mona have her baby??? No news??? I love your story of going out on the town! I tried it last weekend... I had a total of 4 drinks in 2 nights! WAAHOOOOOO! I'm crazy!

holly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
holly said...

Hi Gena!
This description string made me laugh:

> cool jeans, shoes you can run in, people doing drugs, gang (a.k.a. talking loudly), walk with purpose, spider web...

This made me want to tease you because you are drinking out of a can:

> pop open some beers

My western Pennsylvania family always has Milwaukee's Best in a can and Iron City on hand. I like glass bottles because I am a risk-taker. Since they are recycled, there is chance the lip is chipped & I might get hurt. Good thing the drink has alcohol in it to disinfect any potential wounds.

> playing "ride the bus" like a couple of true party animals!

Um, I guess I am close to the nursing home, too- is "ride the bus" slang for some sort of key party?

P.S. The classical music comment here is painfully funny, as was the BLARING music when you got into the car with the astronaut! Ha!