Last month I had one of the worst days ever. I had to go the dentist. Long story short, I hadn't been in a while and I had to have a filling replaced. Whatever. So I made an appointment to come in one day after work. Running a little late, I found myself driving in circles outside the dentist's office without time to find a decent parking place. I finally found a spot 6 blocks away and at a meter. I recently created a resolution to stop spending money on coffee, so had taken to scrounging for change to pay for it with coins. (Everyone knows paying for things in change doesn't count as spending real money, right?) Just that morning I'd enjoyed a delicious vanilla latte but now I had no quarters for the meter. But the appointment won't take that long, right? I'm going for it!
I got to my appointment and the dentist assured me the procedure would only take a few minutes. He gave me my first Novocaine injection and we settled into awkward small talk. Hate the appointment already. Hate dentists, hate injections, and hate small talk. After a few minutes he was ready to get going. But when he started poking around I could still feel everything. Figuring he must not have gone deep enough, he gave me another shot. A few more minutes passed by and he started drilling.... but I could still feel everything! He gave me a total of 5 Novocaine shots but for some reason the nerve would not get numb. I was numb from my hairline to my shoulder with a squinty eye like Quasi Modo. But I felt everything as he dug out my old filling, drilled a new hole and refilled it. Finally I went outside, biting a piece of cotton to keep from chewing my tongue and what did I find on my car? A parking ticket!
I could not stand for this string of injustice! I should not have to endure a parking ticket after what I'd been through, even if I'd never put any quarters in the meter. Who cares if the ticket was only $10!
So I did what anyone would do--- contested the ticket! I went online to plead my case. Your honor, its not my fault, the appointment was so terrible, you have to feel bad enough for me to not make me pay this ticket.
I submitted it and awaited vindication. Evanston, known for being a town where bowling is illegal, could not also be super sticklers about tickets, could they?
Um, yes, apparently they can. Today I got the results and, low and behold, I did not get vindicated. I thought I would totally have that $10 back to spend on more coffee. But apparently Evanston felt strongly that I should have yet another reason to hate the dentist.
Cleaning Out the Cupboards
12 years ago

1 comment:
I've seen that Quasi Modo eye. Remember that picture of us in Beverly Hills, laughing so hard, we're both squinting?
Post a Comment