This past weekend I suddenly realized I was officially the mother of a little girl. Josie, Russ and I had a very full weekend of family activities that we all enjoyed. On Saturday we went to the Nature Museum and Josie was in the mix with the big kids, having fun playing with all of the interactive exhibits. Then on Sunday we spent the morning outside while Josie marched through puddles in her rain boots. In the afternoon Josie and I made chocolate chip cookies together. I had so much fun with her! But, I have to admit that I got a little emotional about my best buddy Josie. The baby part of her is drifting so quickly into the past.
I was reminded of a time when I was little and doing some clothes shopping with my Mom. I was in a pink stage (not really out of that yet) and picked out a pink sweatshirt with little gems on it. It had taken me years to learn the real word for those gems- I used to pronounce it “grindstones.” Cognizant of trying to speak right, I said “I like this one with the rhinestones.” I thought my Mom would be impressed that I’d gotten it right, but instead she got teary and said “oh no! The last of your baby words is gone!”
I had the same feeling this weekend when I noticed Josie give up a mainstay of babyhood- no longer acknowledging animal names by their sounds, but by the real words. No more “ba-ba” but the real “Sheep” instead. Also gone were “neigh-neigh”, “meow-meow,” and my personal favorite for bunny, “hop-hop.” I am proud of her for talking like a big girl, but sad to see those cute baby favorites go away!
Cleaning Out the Cupboards
12 years ago

2 comments:
Oh! So sad! I guess this means it's time to have another baby!!
Oh no...this means "ho ho ho" for "Santa" will be gone next year too!
Post a Comment