Being pregnant is a miracle, right?
This is what I tell myself every day. I am 29 weeks pregnant, so only about 10 weeks to go. But I'm having some trouble loving this of late. Please allow me a few moments to share.
About 2 months ago, I had an unusually busy day at work and ended up spending that night in the hospital. The doctors told us we were losing the baby, and it was the worst night of my life. The next day at a check-up, despite some real problems, it turns out the nurse had just had an incredibly poor bedside manner, and the baby was going to be fine.
Fast forward to the week after that, when at a check-up the doctor said "tricked you! The baby is not fine afterall!" and put me back into a panic and onto semi-bed rest. The baby had dropped and I had contractions if I did anything but lay on my back. I had to start working from home/bed twice a week. When I was at the office, I had to spend part of my day lying on a little bed in my office. I have had very little human contact in weeks and am starting to go a little stir crazy.
Now lets move to week 27. I failed my diabetes test BIG TIME. Now I can do nothing and eat nothing. But this miracle gets even more exciting! Regardless of the strictness of my diet, the "second pregnancy" syndrome is giving me high blood sugar all day long. So yesterday (Friday) they put me on insulin. Now I give myself shots in the leg twice a day, and everyone that knows me knows how tough I am when it comes to needles. (Although, it always surprises you how tough you can be when you have to.)
Today was my first full day on insulin. I ate breakfast and everything seemed fine. A little later Russ, Josie and I were taking down Christmas decorations when I suddenly felt faint, sweaty and cold. Russ was weirded out and suggested I test my blood sugar. It was super low and we got scared. I drank some juice and soon my blood was where it should be and I felt better.
About an hour later I was doing some more cleaning when suddenly I felt very bad. I stumbled to the kitchen to get some food and then collapsed. I was shaking and couldn't talk. Russ helped me take my blood sugar and it was even lower than before- in the very scary range. Then he helped me drink juice while I was shaking like crazy- it was like something out of a movie. We called the doctor and they told us what to do, but it took me several hours until I was normal again.
I had to give myself another shot at dinner, and the same thing repeated itself about an hour later, but luckily not as bad. The doctor said you have to experiment with insulin until you find the right doses. Great, because I love being a science project and sugar lows feel terrific!
I am so thankful for my husband who has helped me with all of this. Whoever said marriage is a team sport was definitely right. Poor Russ! He is amazing though, and managed to help me and keep Josie from getting scared when she was so confused about what was happening.
Oh, and I forgot to mention-- this morning I realized I was coming down with the flu.
I know that pregnancy is a miracle and being a mother is a wonderful experience. And considering how many people can't get pregnant or lose their babies, I feel like an absolute a$$hole for complaining for even one minute. But I will admit this just once, then never speak of it again--- I am REALLY ready to be done being pregnant.
Cleaning Out the Cupboards
12 years ago

1 comment:
my second pregnancy sucked the butt--i couldn't wait for it to be over!
being the wife of an insulin dependent diabetic, i can totally relate to how scary low blood sugar situations can be. one thing to remember is that activity can really drop your blood sugar in a hurry. you may not think you are doing much but your body might think differently. we've had many moments of low blood sugar brought on by seemingly simple activities like vacuuming or setting up the christmas tree. make sure russ takes action if he thinks there may be a problem--you will probably be the last person to realize that your blood sugar is low. i know that if i notice "the look" in jay's eyes that i need to get him food pronto. i know pricking your finger sucks but a diabetic coma would be much worse so when in doubt, bust out the meter.
when you drop like that, make sure you eat something with staying power, not just juice. jay's go-to low blood sugar snack choices are peanut butter, cheese, and orange juice. and then sit down and let it really do its job. and take it easy! you are preggers. life gets four times busier with each kid you add to a house so enjoy some downtime while you can! :)
Post a Comment