Thursday, February 26, 2009

Boredom, nesting, and too much HGTV

I am officially 18 days from the induction date for ole baby Johnson. And as I have not been to work in three weeks, I have way too much time to sit around and generally panic about the fact that there will soon be another baby in this house!
The other night Russ and I sat down and really thought about how we were going to make our condo-- which used to seem big, hahahaha-- adapt to 2 kids and an enormous amount of kid STUFF. After talking about it, arguing about it, and trying to ignore it, we decided to try something crazy. We are turning our sun room into the baby's room!

Russ and I immediately went into mourning, because the sun room is our favorite part of the house. But after thinking about this a lot, I do think it makes sense. At least until I win the HGTV Dream Home Give-Away.

Please indulge me as I show some pictures of our new "renovation":

The first step was taking all baby stuff out of Josie's room and re-arranging everything. We put all the things (including the couch!) that used to be in the sun room in Josie's room and basically made this the coolest bedroom ever.

(Note the 35 stuffed animals on her bed that she sleeps with EVERY night! Also, yes... that's an Elvis poster by her bed. She LOVES Elvis, which is so gold.)

Without the baby stuff in here, there was a ridiculous amount of space, which is awesome! And who wouldn't want a kitchen in their room?

The second step was putting all the baby stuff in the sun room. Again, there was more space in here than we originally thought, too. We easily fit the crib, changing table, and a rocking chair.

Russ's Mom is coming this weekend to help me sew some thick curtains to keep out any drafts and hopefully some of the noise from the street. We will also make a curtain of some sort to separate this room from the living room when baby is sleeping. The final step is when I get to go shopping for a cute rug.

So there it is! Is it white trash to turn a sun room into a baby's room? I hope not. Is it a resourceful use of space? I hope so! If nothing else, its a great project that is keeping me from re-grouting the bathroom and generally driving Russ crazy with nesting related to-do lists. So I guess if that's all this accomplishes, that's still a good thing.

4 comments:

sweeties said...

PERFECT!! Hokey and I shared a room until I was in 6th grade, so you will get your sun room back before you know it!

Emily Towey said...

I love it! I have always thought that the sun room would be a perfect little room! It looks awesome and totally spacious and now Josie's room can also be a playroom which is also awesome. One last benefit, now you don't have to be concerned about making too much noise during all of your passionate love making with Russell the love muscle :-) Ha! Can I write about that on the internet? Well, it's the truth right?

Yasmin said...

Gena, both rooms look beautiful! I can't remember if you've seen the curtain that I put up in my apartment to separate the two areas, but it has worked out great for me. And you did this all without the help of our beloved "Domino" magazine!

REDGIRL said...

I'm a LITTLE upset that you've decided to give away MY napping room without consulting me, but I guess Baby J. comes first. Selfish baby.... JK! :)